Sunday, December 27, 2015

The Best Laid Plans

I've planned this trip for two weeks now.  The full Route 66 itinerary is laid out on the Roadtrippers web site.  Every day's travel, all the sights to see.  I've even gone on Google maps street view to see what the trip might look like in certain areas.  I've got this down.

Then the snow hit.  I'm sitting in the airport in Greenville writing this, and it's snowing like crazy out in New Mexico and Texas.  I-40 was closed between Tucson and Amarillo the last I checked.  By the time I get there, the snow will have stopped, but there's no telling the condition of the highways, let alone the side roads I planned to navigate.

My Route 66 adventure is not to be.  It looks like I'll be taking the southern route along I-10 instead.  I'm not a happy camper, but I guess the good news is, I plan to be home a day earlier.  Since I won't be stopping at cheesy souvenir stands, wigwam hotels, plastic dinosaurs, nor repurposed fiberglass Paul Bunyan statues, I'll just be heading down the long and boring interstate.  For me, a 12 hour day of driving is a piece of cake, so barring any unforeseen circumstances, three days it is.

Stay tuned, but I promise that this blog just took a turn towards snooze fest.